Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Reading Aloud Challenge: We're back to it!

Last week, I posted that we have not been reading aloud.  Even though I think it is so critically important.

And I vowed to change.

Again.

Of course, what happened after that post?  My kids took turns being so sick they barely got out of bed.

<sigh>

The best laid plans of homeschool moms... or something like that.

So, we did FINALLY actually start reading aloud again.

And we started a book I actually paid money to put on my Kindle.

The Princess Bride, by William Goldman.  We started it yesterday.  My Kindle tells me we're 21% of the way through it.  This book is hysterical.  I had to stop, gasping for breath between laughter.  My kids, too, are finding it very funny.

Definitely a good choice.  And I've read it enough to highly recommend it.  Though for younger ears, there might be a spot or two that you'll want to edit on the fly.


The other book we're continuing to read aloud is The American Patriot's Almanac by William Bennett.  Since we lost <ahem> three weeks, we're at least doubling up in our readings from here.  With any luck, by the end of 2014, we'll have gotten through it.  Oh, wait, the plan is to be caught up sometime in February.

We're talking about switching gears and reading The Hobbit instead of starting on Lord of the Rings.  We're starting back up with some other things too, but more on those next week.

And while I promised a photo, an image of my Kindle isn't fabulous.  I'll work on improving that.  Cleaning off the screen would likely be a good first step.



How about you?  What are you reading out loud?  I'd love some inspiration, so feel free to link up your posts about reading aloud, or leave me a comment and tell me I can do it...  


8 comments:

Cristi said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one trying to take pictures of the books on my nook. :)

Addison keeps telling me that I should read The Princess Bride, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I hadn't thought of doing it as a read-aloud.

Debra said...

I have meant to read this book for.ev.er.

It makes a fun read aloud though. We got through a bunch more after I posted today. Didn't laugh quite as hard as yesterday, but still....

A Dusty Frame said...

We're reading two right now...

Karen said...

Thanks for doing this...accountability is good. :)

Debra said...

I need the accountability. Badly. So thanks for being here for me!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on persevering Debra!

Reading aloud can be such a joy - and although it is difficult sometimes to find the energy and time - it pays off!

But when kids are sick, it can be real tough to find the time and energy!

Read Aloud Dad

Jennifer said...

The Princess Bride is a book? Our whole family has enjoyed laughing at that movie. Is it the same?

I'm so glad you started back with this linky. I linked the last thing our family finished reading out loud together, but that was from the second week of Jan. I need to plan another book for us and will enjoy reading through what everyone shares.

Debra said...

Yes! The Princess Bride is a book! I know I watched some special feature on the movie -- or maybe read an article about the movie? -- talking about how the producer or someone had read the book and knew he had to make a movie.

So glad he did... Love the movie. We quote it all the time. And yes, we'll be watching the movie when we finish. (Like we need an excuse to watch the movie...)