Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Reading Aloud Challenge: The Twelve Days of Christmas

What I try to do every year is to read Christmas stories aloud.  Lots of them.  And that usually comprises a bunch of our schoolwork for the 12 Days of Christmas (Happy Seventh Day of Christmas! Eighth Day, probably, by the time you read this!)

I've been feeling rather lousy, though, so we didn't do as much as I would like. 

In no particular order, in the past week, we've read --

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, by Barbara Robinson.  What a great story.  We had read it year ago, but none of the kids remembered it at all.  Great story to get us all talking about bullies, goodie-goodies, and the true meaning of Christmas.

The Grumpy Shepherd, by Paddie Devon.  I read that one to Richard and Trina on the Second Day of Christmas, while all the big guys were at a birthday party.  Cute story, fun illustrations.

The Bells of Christmas, by Virginia Hamilton.  This, we read over a few days.  Christmas in 1890, with the Bell family.  Lots of fabulous pictures, including a bath in a wooden tub in front of the stove.  I've never read this one.

Christmas in the Barn by Margaret Wise Brown.  Another one I read to the littler two when their brothers were away.  I have read this book for sixteen Christmases in a row now.  It was a gift to Connor on his first Christmas.  I am going to break down crying the Christmas that I cannot get anyone to listen again. 

Silent Night, illustrated by Susan Jeffers.  Such a pretty book.


We've continued with some other reading too.

Made in Heaven by Ray Comfort and Jeffrey Seto.  We took a break here for Christmas, but I'm including this so that I will remember to post about it next week.

The American Patriot's Almanac by William Bennett.  We started fresh today with the January 1st reading about the Emancipation Proclamation. 

100 Bible Verses Everyone Should Know by Heart by Robert Morgan.  We're working through all 100 of these this year, so I'll be reading aloud the pages about the two verses for the week.  So expect to see this book here all year long.


Goals for next week:  We'll be finishing off our Twelve Days of Christmas read-alouds.  We'll continue with the long-term titles above.  And next week, I plan to start something new.  Not sure what yet.

Rules for this linkup - if you are blogging about things you are reading aloud to your children, or just blogging about reading aloud in general, feel free to link up.  Audiobooks count too.  I would very much appreciate if you link back to this post.  I'll leave the linky open through Monday at midnight.

How about you? 


No comments: