Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Reading Aloud Challenge: the Confession Edition

So I have not been reading aloud.

There.

I said it.

I mean to, I really do.  I know it is critically important.  I know the vocabulary benefits, the language patterns benefits, the benefits of shared reference points for my family.

But I have been a total slacker the last couple of weeks, so I haven't been posting.  That has to change.  I mean, sure, Dale was home from work all last week, which makes reading aloud less likely.  And things have been pretty busy this month as a whole.  But those are excuses.  If I really wanted it, the reading aloud would still have happened.

It is so stupid on my part (I am completely a believer that "stupid" is a very appropriate word sometimes) as reading aloud is something truly wonderful for my children that no matter what else is going on for us, we CAN afford to do it.  I could probably read aloud six hours a day for three years and not exhaust the (age appropriate) books we own.  And then I could go on for a few decades by utilizing the library and free Kindle books, and review books, and...

There is no excuse.  I'm just being stupid.


One thing I did was to put Fellowship of the Ring on hold at the electronic library.  Having it on ebook shortens the amount of time I have available to read something, so it will force me to be intentional about getting it read.  And I do struggle with reading thick books aloud.  I like to read for an hour or two, and my hand cramps up before my voice goes.  On the Kindle, it is so much easier.

The other thing I did was to buck up and start this post.  Because I said I was going to post on Tuesdays.  And let people link up, because that encourages me.

So whether or not anyone ever links up, I'm going to post.  And next week, I'll have a picture of the books.  I will.

I'd love some inspiration, so feel free to link up your posts about reading aloud, or leave me a comment and tell me I can do it...  


12 comments:

Unknown said...

I would like to say that I would probably not read to the children if we didn't use living books. And I realize that even though we read for school I really need to read to them every night like we did a few years ago.

Crystal said...

Oh I struggle with keeping up with my reading aloud intentions too. Then I go and get an audio book and try to make up for it! Haha! You aren't alone!

Sharon said...

We forgive you. Now what are you planning to read aloud tomorrow?

Amy B said...

You can do this!

Sam said...

We have been reading the Boxcar series. I am either on or off with them myself. :(

Michele said...

My Fun Fridays posts this month have been about real alouds. Last one coming up on Friday!
Confession is good for the soul! ;). Now, go read! Heehee
Oh, and just for the record, I kind of get the idea you are a pretty busy person, so we do forgive you!

Wendy R said...

You are NOT alone! My excuse? My eyesight is so bad, blurry, fuzzy, it truly is a challenge for me to read aloud, except from my Kindle, actually. Because I can make the font as large as I need it!

Unknown said...

Sometimes I just don't feel like reading aloud. And I get out of the habit. If I force myself to go ahead and do it on the days I don't want to, I always feel great about after.

It's kinda like cleaning out a closet.

Unknown said...

Definitely haven't been reading aloud as much as I want to. We have a family read aloud in the evenings that we are plowing through (Neverending Story is a LONG book), but we only read that about 20 minutes a night.

I've got a whole stack of books to read aloud this year and it's just not happening!

Debra said...

You are all great!

And Marcy, you had to bring up closets, huh? Maybe that needs to be my next confession post.



Today, of course, I have two sick kids. One was out of bed for about 2 minutes.

Anonymous said...

Two sick kids? Perfect time to read aloud! They are a captive audience, they aren't usually up to doing any other schoolwork, and it feels good to be read to when you don't feel like doing anything else!

Debra said...

Normally, I'd agree with you. But one sick kid was awake (and not in the bathroom) yesterday for about 45 minutes. He got up three times for about 5 minutes each time just to get some water. And he was up for about a half hour fairly late last night.

Dale did pretty much the same thing for two days.

Can't read aloud when they are asleep. :(

Usually, sick days here mean HOURS of reading aloud. I'm hoping today is more like that.