Saturday, January 19, 2013

Bountiful Baskets: January 19

I did not want to get up at oh-dark-thirty this morning to go get my basket, but as always, the produce is great and the people are fabulous.  So I'm glad I went.

I got two baskets this week.  And (not sure how I pulled it off) they were identical.  Here is the photo of one:
This arrangement courtesy of Richard & Trina
What all is there?
  • a nearly full 5 pound bag of potatoes (we had to pull one potato out of each bag to distribute stuff)
  • a head of Savoy Salad.  I got purple in both.  I wanted one white and one purple, but oh well. Isn't it pretty?
  • 3 avocados
  • 7 Granny Smith apples
  • 4 bananas
  • 4 lemons
  • 5 oranges
  • 1 pineapple
  • 1 box of strawberries
This is a basket that doesn't require a lot of thought.  The fruit will get eaten.  Well, the lemons will probably become lemonade.  The weather is appropriate for that.  Then potatoes will be used (and we were running low on potatoes, so it is great to have them).  Avocados, well, since this is one of very, very few things my family balks at eating, I have to either be creative or use them myself.  The Savoy Salad -- I already used a leaf of it in the breakfast skillet this morning.  I'll do that some more, and we'll see what else I come up with.  I heard that it is great used just like kale chips... and now that we have a working oven (it has been YEARS since it worked right), I might attempt that again.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Looks so colorful and delicious!