Saturday, January 12, 2013

Bountiful Baskets: January 12

Two weeks without Bountiful Baskets is just TOO long, I tell you.

It is so nice to have them back!  We were down to so little as far as produce goes.  And this was such a fun basket.  And I got to take the picture myself with my new camera.  This is one of my two baskets.  I also split a 40 pound box of apples with a friend.


So, here is what I got in both baskets --
  • two bunches of celery
  • sixteen rainbow carrots
  • three avocadoes
  • about 4.5 pounds of Brussels sprouts
  • about 1.5 pounds of peppers
  • two boxes of grape tomatoes
  • two boxes of strawberries
  • fourteen apples
  • nine oranges
  • seven oro blancos
  • thirteen bananas
I stopped at Safeway and priced out produce, and to buy the above stuff (with normal carrots, not rainbow ones) would have cost me over $58.  I spent $30 for the two baskets.  Okay, so I'd never spend that kind of money on Brussels sprouts, nor would I buy grape tomatoes or strawberries.  But we love them, and they will be eaten.

I love Bountiful Baskets.



7 comments:

Kate said...

Did you eat the other two avocados? I would have. :D

Love the photo!

XO,
Kate

Cristi said...

Yum! Some roasted brussel sprouts sound really good right now.

Debra said...

No, I did not eat the other two! I only take a photo of one basket, but I list what I got in total between the two. I had one basket (the one I photographed) with one avocado, and the other basket had two. I try to get baskets with different extras...

And yes, Cristi, I'm really looking forward to roasted Brussels sprouts...

Lis said...

Your photo.... love the tree! :D Beautiful tree of "life" :D

FlyLady Di said...

What are "Oro Blancos"? (Poor little northeastern girl with English-Finnish-Norwegian roots...)

Debra said...

Lis - Connor arranged the produce for me. He is very symmetrical... and I love the 'tree of life' thought. I hadn't looked at it that way.

Di - I had no idea what oro blancos were either until I started doing Bountiful Baskets. They are kind of grapefruit-y. Sweeter, though. About the size of a grapefruit, and a little tangy, but you really don't need to add sugar (usually)

Kate said...

Yum! I like Connor's design. Good to know you didn't just eat the other avocados. (Like I said, I would have! haha)

:D Kate