Saturday, May 26, 2012

Bountiful Baskets: May 26

Today was the day!  A new Bountiful Baskets site opened up TODAY, and it is so, so, so much closer to me!  This marks a year that I've been getting Bountiful Baskets, too, so it was doubly special.  Last June, I started driving about 70 minutes (one-way) to get baskets every other week.  In October, that almost halved, as I could drive about 40 minutes.

And as of today, it halved again... the new location is 20 minutes away.

I'm also training to be a backup for running this one.  Eeeek!

Anyway, since we've been out of town, and were basically without produce (besides potatoes, onions and sweet potatoes) in the house, I went for THREE regular baskets.  I brought home a ton of stuff.  

Pictured is ONE basket --

 The fruit included:
  • 4 bananas (one basket had 5)
  • a cantaloupe
  • 7 peaches (one basket had 8)
  • 3 enormous Red D'Anjou pears (and I chose two more as my volunteer extra)
  • 7 oranges

The veggies contained:
  • 5 ears of corn (this basket had 6)
  • 1 head of leaf lettuce
  • 3 tomatoes
  • 3 artichokes
  • 6 carrots
  • 3 large to HUGE beautiful orange bell peppers
I loved, loved, loved that I didn't get anything that I had in my house in any sort of quantity!

So, what will we do with all of this?
  • Corn on the cob for dinner this week, and corn on the cob for dinner next weekend when we have extra people around
  • At least a couple dinners with carrots as the veggie
  • salads
  • I'll "just use" the tomatoes, some of the carrots and some of the peppers
  • I'll undoubtedly need to freeze some of the peppers
  • I'm thinking I'm going to can a quart or two of peaches, and maybe a quart of pears
  • Otherwise, peaches, bananas, and pears will be eaten this week
  • The oranges will probably be our main fruit next week
  • One cantaloupe will be a breakfast this week.  The other two will wait for the weekend with company.
  • Artichokes.  I've got 9 of them.  Yikes.  I've gotten some great facebook advice to steam 'em and dip in lemon butter, or in garlic butter.  I figure we'll ALL eat a couple tomorrow, and if it is a hit, I'll do it again for everyone.  Otherwise, methinks I'll be eating artichoke for lunch every day for the next week....
Oh, it is SO NICE to have produce in my house again. 

No comments: