Sunday, February 5, 2012

Of Blizzards and Bountiful Baskets

Okay, so yesterday I showed a map of all of our closed roads, and my inability to go pick up my Bountiful Basket order.

I figured I better post an update...

So it turns out there were a few of us out here on the plains of Colorado worried about our baskets.  Who knew?  Anyway, I found two total strangers on the Facebook page who offered to get my stuff picked up... and as it turned out, I forwarded my confirmation to a lady who lives fairly close to me... who couldn't get out either.  And she forwarded my confirmation to her sister-in-law who lives north of us (and who couldn't get out either).  And she forwarded my confirmation to her parents, who live in town where the storm wasn't anywhere near as bad.

These amazing stranger's sister-in-law's parents went and picked up a bazillion pounds of produce for 4-5 of us...

We got the 4Runner out of the driveway, thanks to some amazing friends driving by with their Bobcat right about the time we were seriously trying to get out.  We were able to drive over to where the truck was, and the county plow pulled him out.  But there was no way I was driving to get my basket.  White knuckles all the way for the six miles I did yesterday.  I didn't want that stress for 60 miles, you know?

Today I was able to actually get out.  Went to get my stuff.  Roads were not very good near us, but not as bad as yesterday.  And I got it all...

So --- my produce, which I did not photograph, and I probably don't have quite right:
  • a box of strawberries
  • a pineapple
  • 10 beautiful yummy looking apples
  • one Asian pear (I told the kids that is MINE)
  • asparagus
  • 3 bunches of celery
  • 5 pound bag of potatoes, plus one more
  • a big head of broccoli
  • 5 huge tomatoes
  • one bunch of radishes
  • 4 red peppers
  • 4 onions
  • a head of some leafy lettuce
Plus we got a 20 pound box of huge tomatoes.  And 38 pounds of Pink Lady apples.  And two 3 pound bags of corn chips.

I have loved my Bountiful Baskets every time we've gotten them... which has been every two weeks since the very first time they were in Colorado Springs.  But this week?  This week, the number of strangers involved in getting my produce into my home... I'm just blessed, you know?


No comments: