Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Book Review: Has God Spoken?

Any time I get a chance to get my hands on something that has anything to do with Biblical Archaeology, I jump at it.  So when I read the description of Has God Spoken? by Hank Hanegraaff, I signed on.

From the publisher:
Using the memorable acronym MAPS, radio host and Bible scholar Hank Hanegraaff masterfully reveals four proofs that confirm the divine origin of the Bible:
  • M represents the strength of the manuscript itself as many actual fragments have been located
  • A stands for the archaeological proofs that have been uncovered
  • P is for the prophecy that has accurately predicted events
  • S represents the scriptural synergy found in the unity, consistency, and harmony of the sixty-six books
These clearly presented proofs provide powerful indicators that confirm the trustworthiness and divine nature of Scripture, that God has indeed spoken, and that the Bible is the reliable repository of His words.
Unfortunately for me, the archaeology section was fairly short, about fifty pages.  The longest section is the one on prophecy.

Anyway, the archaeology section was interesting.  There was information in there that I haven't seen elsewhere, and there was a great chapter on the Epic of Gilgamesh. 

If you have heard Hank Hanegraaff on The Bible Answer Man, this book is written in the same basic style.  He loves acronyms (each of the four sections represented in the MAPS acronym has an acronym of its own) and he tends to write in a fairly academic manner.

I will be going over the Archaeology section at least, with Thomas -- slowly -- because he is fascinated by the subject. 

Disclaimer: As a Booksneeze Blogger, I did receive this book for free from Thomas Nelson. No other compensation was received. For more about my take on reviews, visit my blog post here.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Sounds good...and I 've heard this name but I KNOW I haven't read a book by him, so must have been because someone was talking about a book by him. LOL.

Love the picture of you and your daughter. I have one EXACTLY like that. I was even wearing a shirt the same color. I literally did a double take.