Thursday, July 14, 2011

Reading Aloud Challenge: July 14

I meant to get this written last night, but I had a last minute request to get some things done, and then I was just too tired...

So I am happy to report we have done some reading this week...


Evolution: The Grand 
Experiment: Vol. 2 - Living FossilsWe continued working through our summer science.  Living Fossils.  This is a review book, so I'll have more about it soon, I'm hoping next week.  We are really enjoying it now.  

Ashes, AshesWe started AND finished Ashes, Ashes by Jo Treggiari.  This is a review book, maybe this afternoon, so I won't say much about it.  Except the big guys really enjoyed it, and I discovered a "new" genre -- dystopian literature.  In this case, teen dystopian literature.  I'm sure you are all, well, less clueless than I am, but this would be how books like 1984 are classified now.  DYStopian being the opposite of Utopian.


If Animals Could Talk: 
Creation Speaks for ItselfWe are continuing to read If Animals Could Talk.  This turned into a read it to everyone book, and it is fun.

Something else that is happening is that Thomas has decided to read aloud to Richard and Trina every night.  So they have been doing books like If You Give a Cat a Cupcake, Goldie and the Three Bears, and other assorted picture books.

Haunted Waters (Red Rock Mysteries, No. 1)Haunted Waters, the first book in the Red Rock Mysteries series.  Twin 13 year olds, one boy and one girl, find mystery wherever they go.  Connor had read this book a couple years ago, but we never followed up with the rest of the series.  Decided this seemed like a perfect summer series for this year for everyone.  The kids loved it.

Stolen Secrets.  The second Red Rock Mystery.  Only got about halfway through this one so far, and the kids are enjoying it as well.  There are something like 15 of these in total, so you'll undoubtedly see a few more of these covers this summer.  However, THIS one doesn't seem to want to be included.


The Big WaveThe Big Wave.  Yes, an actual school book slipped in here again this week, but not much.  I really thought we'd finish it last week... and, umm, we're still working on it.

Passport to the World: 
Your A to Z Guided Language TourPassport to the World. Thomas is doing this for the Master Books program, and he is enjoying it this week (he had a bad attitude last week).

Plans for this coming week? Finishing up some of the above.  Not sure what else at this point.

How did your week go?  Sign the linky to link up your reading aloud post and I'll definitely come visit your post.   Love having you here...  There are a few of you who I'm missing though...  Come back!  Come back!!  I miss you!!

To see my first post when this turned into a linky thing, check here.


5 comments:

Laura O in AK said...

Debra,

I have Ashes, Ashes to review as an audiobook and haven't started. But, I did review an adult dystopian novel this month that I absolutely loved.

Now I'll be looking forward to reading this one.

Jill said...

Hi Debra, Thanks for hosting this again. Looking forward to checking out some of the books you are reading.

Tess said...

I haven't done any reading aloud but I posted and linked this week :). Maybe next week I'll include book titles.

Modest Mama said...

So excited to join! I hope I can keep it up!

Cristi said...

I didn't have much to report, but I could stand the (self-imposed) guilt for not posting something. I hope that we'll be able to set aside more regular reading times once all the summer activities wind down.