Monday, January 3, 2011

Jane Austen Challenge

I had decided that I was NOT going to sign up for any reading challenges (besides the Bible in 90 Days one) in 2011.  I probably filled most of the challenges I signed up for last year, but I was lousy at recording anything and I found it stressful.

Then I saw this one.


Jane Austen.  Books by her.  Books inspired by her.  And the movies too.

Yeah, I can do this.

So, my goals for 2011 are to read six of Austen's works (I read Sense & Sensibility in 2010).  That would be:
  1. Pride and Prejudice
  2. Mansfield Park
  3. Emma
  4. Persuasion
  5. Northanger Abbey
  6. Lady Susan
I've read most of them before, but it has been awhile.  I don't think I've read Mansfield Park before though, and I had never even heard of Lady Susan.

I'm also going to read one or two of the "inspired by" titles, but I don't know which.  I'll be checking out some reviews or otherwise trying to get advice.  And it will undoubtedly be limited by what my library has too.

And, of course, I'm going to watch any movies I can get my hands on for each book.

Anyone else care to join me?

8 comments:

Wendy Kaye said...

Ohhhhhhhhhh, this sounds fun!!! Maybe I will join you!!

EmAlbritton said...

Hmmm....let me get through the next 90 days first! One thing at a time.

I have to say...it's been a while since I've spent any time with Mr. Darcy. :-)

As far as the movies...would watching the different versions of P & P count...

Kara said...

Oh yay! I'm so glad you're doing it too! :-)

Kela said...

I'll commit to at least 2 in 2011. LOL.
Who knows, I may decide to devour the books.?
I've had Pride and Pred. on my shelf since the start of last school year.
I'm not as ferocious with reading as I used to be.
I'll buy a book in a hot second but have been v-e-r-y slow in finishing. I do like the challenge, though!

Cristi said...

I can so relate to not recording stuff and therefore not knowing if I've actually done any of the challenges. I've never been a Jane Austen fan. Maybe I'll do my own challenge and try to read one of hers this year. ;) Surely I can keep up with did-or-didn't.

A Faithful Journey said...

GLad you are joining us in the challenge! It is sure to be a lot of fun!

Happy Reading!!

Marie said...

I'm taking this challenge! Is it okay for me to link to you?

Debra said...

Absolutely, Marie! :)