Wednesday, September 23, 2009

What would you do with fifty pounds of potatoes?

I'm just on here looking for ideas...

I'll be picking up a 50# bag of potatoes on Friday (and a 50# bag of onions too), and I don't really have a fantastic place to store them.  What I'm thinking at the moment:

I've frozen mashed potatoes quite successfully before, so I'll do that.
I can keep potatoes for about a month, so I'll store enough for us to do loaded baked potatoes once a week, and to do something in the crockpot with a potato or two each week.
Twice baked potatoes, I've heard, freeze well.
Figured I'd try potato skins too
My husband would love me forever if I made pierogies, but that is so much work...
I also thought I'd do some potato wedges.

Any other suggestions?  If this works out, maybe next time I'll go for two 50# bags...

3 comments:

Cristi said...

Can you freeze potato soup?

Debra said...

Cristi -- hmmmm. I don't know. I need to look into that. I wonder if clam chowder would freeze. I've got 3-4 cans of clams in my cupboard that I probably ought to use. Maybe I just need to cook that up and not worry about freezing it.

Thanks for the idea. I'll look into it. And I'll report back as to how my potato freezing sessions go too!

Tess said...

I have frozen potato soup. If you like solid chunks of potatoes that hold their shape, then freezing is not a good idea but if you'd like a great cream soup that would be good for casseroles or a creamy "no chunk" soup, then it freezes fine. I don't know about clam chowder. And what exactly are pierogies?